Sally Roach's portfolio
I am pleased to share with you a selection of my work. Please contact me if you have any questions or wish to purchase an item.
I am inspired by the world around me, particularly flowers, land and seascapes. I love colour and this often determines my choice of materials and techniques, whereas I often start weaving with only a vague idea of the final form. I work with anything from cane, rush and willow to found materials, textiles and paper. I use a range of techniques from stake and strand, plaiting and frame to twining, netting and coiling – producing both functional baskets and more sculptural work.
I completed the City & Guilds Creative Basketry Course at City Lit in London in 2013 – using the Wildflower Meadows at the Olympic Park to inspire my final pieces. The exhibition was reviewed on Homebuildlifer Best of Baskets: City Lit Creative Basketry Exhibition.
Exhibitions and events
- Reach Festival, September 2016
- Cambridge Open Studios July 2016
- Cambridge Union Christmas Market Dec 2015
- Cambridge Open Studios, July 2015
- Basketry Identity Exhibition, Riverhouse Barn Art Centre, Walton on Thames, March-April 2015 – organised by the Basketry Association
- Basketry Collective Open Studio, Cambridge - August 2014 – exhibition by members of the Basketry Collective
- River Waveney Art Trail, August-Sept 2014 – collaborative sculpture by members of the Basketry Collective
- Hertfordshire Basketry's Turning Ten Exhibition, Mill Green Museum, Hatfield, June/July 2014
- Tower Hamlets Cemetery Park Summer Festival, June 2014 – opportunity for children and adults to weave/plait into a geodome structure, led by members of the Basketry Collective
- Final Exhibition, City Lit, London, July 2013 – City Lit City and Guilds students
- Awarded the Barbara Maynard Cup by the Basketmakers’ Association in 2012 for Promising City Lit student.
Visit my blog https://sallyroach.wordpress.com/