Applications to renew your membership of Cambridge Open Studios for the following year are taken between 1 November and 31 December. If you do not renew by 31 December your membership will lapse. Applications are made online via this website. Details of how to do this will be posted on the site during the application period. We will also send out reminders to all members during the renewal period. Please do not unsubscribe from COS mailings as this is the way we communicate with members.
Click on the 'Request new password' button on the log in page. We will send you an email to your registered email address giving details about how to log back into your account. Once logged in you will be able to change your password. If you have forgotten your registered address please email email@example.com
To edit your artist page on the website, log into your account. Click on 'Edit artist page' on the right hand side.
- Fill in the name and contact details you want the public to see.
- Upload an image to be used as the main image on your web page. You can upload an image from your computer or select from 'My files' - the images already on the website.
- Enter the media you use under 'Media type'. If you use more than one, separate them by commas.
- Give a summary of your work under 'Artist summary'. This field is limited to 150 characters.
- Enter a longer description of your work under 'Artist description'. You can add images as well as text to this field by selecting the 'add media' button. Place your cursor where you would like the image to appear.
- Select whether you accept commissions, offer tuition or are prepared to receive visitors throughout the year.
Remember to click 'Save' once you have finished.
View your page by clicking on 'View member page' on your account page or by finding it under the 'Artist members' menu.
Once logged into your account you can add images in various ways:
- To add your main artist image which appears on your website page click on 'Edit artist page'. Scroll down to 'Artist image' and click on 'Browse'. You can either upload an image from your computer by clicking on 'Choose file' and then 'Upload'. Or you can choose an image already on the website by selecting it from 'My files'. To change your artist image, click 'Remove' and select another one.
- Every image that you upload to the website will be stored for you in your 'My files' folder – visible when you click 'Browse' – so you only need to upload each image once.
- You can add one or more images to the descriptive text on your artist page. Click on 'Edit artist page'. Place your cursor where you want the image to appear in the 'Artist description' box. Click on the little 'Upload media' icon (like a picture of mountains) and find the image that you want.
- You can create one or more portfolios of images to appear on your web page. Create a new portfolio by clicking on 'New' on the Portfolio menu on your account page. Enter a title and descriptive text if you wish. Add as many images as you want to the portfolio by clicking on the 'Browse' button under 'Attach media'. To edit an existing portfolio double click on its name. You can then add further images to the portfolio or delete an image by clicking on ‘’Remove’ next to the file concerned. You can change the order in which the images appear in each portfolio by clicking on 'Show row weights', top right of your images. Change the order by adjusting the number next to each one - the lowest numbered image will be at the top.
- Don’t forget to hit the ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the page after making any changes.
To add an event to the website calendar you must be a member of Cambridge Open Studios.
1. Log into your account and go to your account page
2. Scroll down to where it says 'My events' and click on 'New' (To edit an existing event, click on the plus sign next to My Events and then on the event title)
3. Enter a Title for your event - this is the initial text people will see in the Calendar. Keep it reasonably short, e.g. 'Fred Bloggs: Exhibition'
4. Enter the date of the event, and start and finishing times
5. If the event extends over more than one day, check the 'Repeat' event box. This will open up further options for you to complete: Select the repeat interval (daily, weekly, monthly etc) and how often (options vary according to the repeat interval). Under 'Stop repeating' enter either the total number of times the event occurs or specify the end date.
6. Enter a brief description of the event in the Headine field and any further details in the Body field. If opening hours vary on different days enter details here.
8. Enter the address where the event will take place. You can adjust the exact location on the map by dragging the pin to the correct position.
9. If you wish, upload an image by clicking on 'Browse' under 'Attach media'.
10. Don't forget to click the 'Save' button at the bottom of the page. Check your event has appeared in the calendar. A link should also appear on your home page under 'My events'.
You will not appear on the public pages of the site until you have uploaded at least some text or images. To do this - see the answer to 'How do I edit my website page?'
To participate in Open Studios you must be a member of COS. The participation fee for taking part in 2019 will be £140. Existing members must renew their membership first before paying the participation fee.
The deadline for registering and paying for participation in Open Studios is 31 January
Participation payments are made between November and January. To register log into your account on the website. Go to your account page and click on 'Buy participation'. This will take you through the payment process. One you have paid go to your account page and click on: 'July Open Studios entries'. Here you will find an entry form for next year's Open Studios where you can upload text and an image for the printed guide and website.
The deadline for providing all guide content is mid February (exact date will be sent to members)
Sharing a guide entry: Two or more members can share the participation fee if they wish. This means they will have a shared entry in the guide and on the website. To do this just one member should make the payment and upload content. At the bottom of the participation content form click on 'Shared entry'. This will open up a list of members' names. Select the names of other members sharing the entry and click on the green plus sign to add them to the participation list (they need to have paid/renewed their membership fee to appear in the list). If you want your own, individual entry in the guide please ignore this section.
Many members exhibit in their home, either alone or with a fellow COS member(s). We encourage members to exhibit in their homes as it enables the public to meet artists in their studios and to find out how they produce their work. We understand that exhibiting in your home may not be possible, however, in which case you can hold your open studio elsewhere, such as a village hall or community centre. The only criterion is that the space must be open to the public from 11am until 6pm on both Saturday and Sunday of your selected weekends.
All artists exhibiting at a shared location must be members of COS. The one exception to this is if the exhibition is in a Gallery that has paid for a listing in our ‘Galleries and Arts Organisations’ section. In this case exhibitors need not be COS members. Members exhibiting at such a Gallery can choose whether or not to pay the participation fee for an individual listing in the Open Studios guide.
If you have any questions about where you can hold your open studios please email Marion Curtis: firstname.lastname@example.org
We are not able to provide exhibition spaces for members. However, we encourage members who would like to share a space, or have exhibition space to offer, to post offers and requests to our News feed. Members can create a News item by logging into their account page and clicking on ‘New’ next to ‘My News’.
Registrations to take part in the July Open Studios are taken between early November and January. Two or more members can share the participation fee if they wish. All artists involved must be members of COS. This means they will have a shared entry in the guide and on the website. (NB: If you want your own, individual entries in the guide you should each pay for participation and upload content for your own entry).
To have a shared entry just one member should make the payment and upload content, including entering a suitable name for the group. At the bottom of the participation content form click on 'Shared entry'. This will open up a list of members' names. Select the names of other members sharing the entry and click on the green plus sign to add them to the participation list. Once you have done this their names will appear in the entry on the Open Studio pages of the website. Each artist involved will be shown as participating in Open Studios on their individual artist web pages. They will also appear in the index of artists taking part in the printed guide. Their names will not be shown in the entry in the guide, however, unless they are included as part of the participation text.
Once you have paid to participate in Open Studios click on 'July Open Studios entries’ on your account page and you will see a link to the coming year's Open Studios where you can upload text and an image for the guide. The deadline for completing all content is mid February (exact date will be sent to all members).
The form asks for:
- Your name. (If you are sharing the entry with another member(s) enter whatever name you have decided to use for the group in the last name box)
- Email/telephone and website details (your registered email address will be used in the guide if you do not provide an alternative)
- Participation text: a maximum of 150 characters, including spaces, to describe your work. Please type directly into the box. Do not cut and paste your text.
- COS event image: the image that will appear with your entry in the guide and on the website. Avoid images that are very tall or wide: square formats make the best use of the space available. The image should be at least 300 pixels wide and high. See 'How do I upload images to my page' for help with uploading images to the site from your computer.
- Location type: Select 'Working studio' if visitors will see how your work is made. Otherwise select 'Exhibition'.
- Whether this is the first time you have taken part in Open Studios
- Media type and whether or not your studio is accessible to wheelchair users.
- COS weekends: the weekends in July when you will be opening to the public. Select the number of the weekend(s) you want in the left hand box and click the green plus sign to move them into the right hand box. Please note: You must be present in your studio to receive visitors throughout each day that you are open.
- Address of your studio or exhibition location.
Shared entries: Two or more members can share the participation fee if they wish. This means they will have a shared entry in the guide and on the website. To do this just one member should make the payment and upload content. At the very bottom of the participation form click on 'Shared entry'. This will open up a list of members' names. Select the names of the other members sharing the entry and click on the green plus sign to add them to the participation list. Please note that members will not appear in the drop down list until they have added some content to their artist pages.
NB If you want your own, individual entry in the guide please ignore this section.
Don't forget to save your changes.
The July Cambridge Open Studios are advertised as free. Members cannot therefore charge an entry fee.
COS strongly recommends that all members participating in the July Open Studios arrange public liability insurance. This may be possible through your existing household insurance but it is advisable to get quotations from other insurance providers as well. Ask other members who have participated before if you would like further help or advice on this matter.